850g stewing venison
2 celery sticks (thinly sliced)
1 chopped onion
2 large carrots (halved length ways &
5 bay leaves
2 thyme sprigs (1 whole, 1 with leaves picked)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp butted
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 beef stock cubes (crumbled)
1. Heat oven to 160c/140c fan/gas 3 and
boil the kettle
2. Put the 2 thickly sliced celery sticks, chopped onion, sliced carrots, bay leaves and the whole thyme sprig into a casserole dish, with the vegetable oil and butter,
3. Soften for 10 minutes and stir in the plain flour.
Add in the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock cubes.
4. Gradually stir in 600ml of hot water, adding
the stewing venison and bring to a gentle simmer.
5. Cover and place in the oven for 2 hours and 30 minutes Uncover and cook for a further 30 minutes to an hour, until the meat is very tender and the sauce has thickened.
6. Serve with creamy mashed potato,
chunky bread or fluffy rice.